Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 07:39:27 -0500
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "darryl@osborne-ind.com" <darryl@osborne-ind.com>, "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ftp & FreeBSD firewall

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001 12:31:37 +0100, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:

>Darryl Hoar wrote:
>
>>Greetings,
>>I built a Freebsd firewall according to the instructions at
>>http://www.schlacter.net:8500/public/FreeBSD-STABLE_and_IPFILTER.html
>>
>>The firewall/router is working fine.
>>
>>My network consists mostly of Windows PC's.  Since I've put the firewall
>>in place, they have been unable to use ftp to retrieve files from the web.
>>I have tried cuteftp, ws_ftp and microsofts ftp clients on these windows
>>machines.  I have set them up to use passive , but the firewall settings
>>in these clients don't make sense.
>>
>>What do I need to do to safely let my Windows users use ftp to retrieve/put
>>files on the internet ?
>>
>Trying settting the clients in passive mode.
>Where you find the settings depends on the client software, but its
>usually reffered to as passive transfers, passive mode or PASV for short.
>I know for a fact that both CuteFTP and WS_FTP supports this option.

i dont know about ws_ftp or msftp, but leapftp you just click pasv.  my
guess is that a rule for your firewall is off..  i think ftp sends data
back on port20 as well.  that could be the problem

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 6E7B 9993 B503 6D45  E33A 2019 26E5 C1DB