Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:19:50 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Lord Raiden <dragoncrest@voyager.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Being a Noob:  Installing Spam Assassin

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 03:49:48AM -0400, Lord Raiden wrote:

> 	Ok, I'm being a total noob here, but does someone have a good
> step by step tutorial for installing Spam Assassin?  I'm not having
> any luck on my own.  Thanks.

I assume you've got this part:

    cd /usr/ports/mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin
    make install

( -- or -- )

    portinstall mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin

Now, you've got a few choices to make.  If you read through the files
in /usr/local/share/doc/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin they will tell you a
great deal more information than this e-mail could ever contain.  You
might want to install the spamass-milter (ports: mail/spamass-milter),
but I'm going to skip over that for now and concentrate on installing
spamassassin filtering via individual user .procmailrc's.

If you're going to use procmail, clearly you need to install the
procmail port.  You can use it as the default local delivery agent by
adding:

    FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl

to /etc/mail/`hostname`.mc and then rebuilding your sendmail.cf and
restarting sendmail:

    cd /etc/mail
    make install
    make restart

or you can use a ~/.forward file just for your own account:

    "|exec /usr/local/bin/procmail || exit 75"

(you need the quote marks).

Assuming you've got procmail installed satisfactorily and have things
set up to use it as your local delivery agent, you need do no more
than add the following mear the top of your ~/.procmailrc:

    :0fw
    | spamassassin -P

    :0:
    caughtspam

This starts up spamassassin from scratch for each e-mail you receive.
A slightly better set up is to run 'spamd' as a long-lived process and
feed e-mails through it via 'spamc'.

    cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
    cp spamd.sh-dist spamd.sh
    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/spamd.sh start

and add rules like this at the top of your .procmailrc

    :0 fw
    | spamc

    :0:
    caughtspam

I'll leave running SpamAssassin on a site-wide basis (ie. as a milter)
as "an exercise for the student", unless there's great demand for help
with that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way