Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:17:15 -0700
From:      Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mountd / nfsd problems

> Yesterday I upgraded one of my machines to 4.5-RC and I've been having some
> strange problems with nfsd since then. When the machine is booting up I get
> the following error message:
>
> RPC: Program not registered
>
> and the /var/log/messages says:
>
> mountd[76]: can't register mount
> nfsd:[78]: can't register with udp portmap
>
> Using Google I was able to find some people having a similar problem but it
> seemed as their problem was in the hosts.allow file, which I didn't alter
> while running mergemaster.
>
> I have two ethernet cards in the machine xl0 and xl1. xl0 is facing the
> world and xl1 is a crossover cable to an other machine acting as a nfs
> client. These are my ipfw rules:
> 00100 allow ip from 194.x.x.11 to any       <- localhost
> 00200 allow ip from any to any via xl1      <- crossover to nfs
> client
> 00300 allow tcp from 194.x.x.1 to 194.144.186.11 25
> 00600 allow tcp from 194.x.x.1 to 194.144.186.11 1005-65535
> 00700 allow udp from 194.x.x.1 to 194.144.186.11 1005-65535
> 65535 deny ip from any to any
>
> Could the ipfw rules be the problem?

I just had exactly the same set of NFS error messages at startup.  In my
case it was because I had accidentally enabled the firewall in the machine's
config, and that machine had only the default deny rule.  Easily fixed.
But, it makes me think that the answer to your question might well be Yes,
the ipfw rules could be the problem.

I notice you don't have the "customary" rules

    100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
    200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8

I wonder if that could be the cause?  I rediscovered the hard way a couple
weeks ago that these rules are normally installed by rc.firewall in addition
to any config file you specify in rc.conf, but if you manually do an ipfw
flush then reinstall your usual rules you lose these two automatic rules.

-- Ian