Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:17:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jin Guojun (FTG staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        matrix@chat.ru, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE RAID (Adaptec one)

> > Adaptec now offers a IDE RAID 5 controller and i just was wondering if
> > it works fine with freebsd and will it outperform a single big SCSI drive
> > ( i mean speed, not capacity).
>
> It's impossible to tell, but I would expect that, being another product
> of Adaptec's RAID division, documentation is going to be impossible to
> obtain, and thus there will be no driver support.
>
> If anyone has any more data, I'd love to hear about it, but right now I'm
> not very optomistic.

I do not know Adaptec one, but I know 3ware has something similar.
We asked them for an evaluation board (retail is about $270) and come with
linux driver source. It works quite well under linux. It can be configured
as 2x2 stripe, 1x4 stripe (RAID1), and mirror (RAID0). The 2x2 stripe can
have 32MBps I/O rate which is not bad at all.
Four 45GB WDC IDE drives are $1000, plus a $270 IDE controller, you can
get total 180GB with 32MBps I/O at $1300 which is half price of the same
configuration for SCSI.

The driver code is about 16K, but requires many linux header files.
I do not have time to poke Linux syuff at this moment. If some one is
interested in it, driver source can be download from www.3ware.com.

	-Jin