Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:57:45 +0100
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD Question List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail and Cyrus IMAP

Patrick O'Reilly wrote:

>Hi all!
>
>I am running sendmail as MTA, and popper for POP3 - all is well.
>
>Now, I wish to delve into IMAP.  I found Cyrus in the ports collection,
>and all the write-up and the web site sounds great.
>
>OK - the question I need to ask: How does SMTP and/or the MTA function
>happen when Cyrus runs?  Will Cyrus provide and SMTP daemon, or will I
>still run the Sendmail SMTP Daemon?
>
>I understand that Cyrus will replace the popper, and will provide IMAP
>access instead of POP3, but I don't know how a mail from the outside
>world will find its way into the Cyrus message store.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Patrick O'Reilly.

IMAP is not a replacement for POP3.
They basically provide the same service, but they do it in very
different ways.
While POP3 allows the client to fetch the mails from the server, IMAP
allows the client to read the messages while they are still on the
server. (Very simplified)
You can run both POP3 and IMAP on the same machine.

IMAP is not a replacement for Sendmail either, they provide completely
different services. You will still need Sendmail  (or another MTA) even
if you run IMAP.