Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 08:33:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.8.1 Exceptions?

> Does anyone know what is the magic incatation to make C++ exceptions work
> with gcc-2.8.1 from the ports distribution? .

The GCC 2.8.(2?) from the ports has Jeremey Allison's code, developed
while he was employed at Whistle, for GCC 2.8.x, for threads exceptions
in C++ (this was the same threads work donated back to FreeBSD for
Draft 4 complaince for the pthreads implementation).

This should work fine, since I used it with PMTA (POP Mail Transfer
Agent), a fetchmail replacement using the "cathedral" rather than
the "bazaar" model to work around about 15 fetchmail bugs.  It's in
the Whistle source tree, which you have access to, though it's a
strategic rather than a tactical technology (would that I could
publish it to repudiate Eric Raymonds silly claims).

Basically, I have reimplemented almost all of JAVA's functionality
in C++, including the full exception typing, to implement the full
JavaMail API, as documented by Sun, in C++.  It took about two
weeks, total (look at the checkin logs to see dates) JAVA is a
triviality, IMO.  Any competent engineer could recreate a complete
JAVA in two months, at most.  Makes me wonder what the WINE guys
are actually doing with their time.

One "gotcha" is that FreeBSD is totally screwed with regard to the
.mk files treatment of DESTDIR, since it make no distinction between
build and target environments (this comes from assuming that the
universe is x86, but also precludes targetting embedded x86 systems).

Take a look at the PMTA Makefile; it overrides the DESTDIR build
environment overrides of the include directories.  Basically, FreeBSD
is stupid with regard to the overide of the include paths.

Most likely, what is biting you is the FreeBSD override of the include
paths to the 2.7.x compiler's RTTI header files, which are broken in
about six places, from using 2.8.x as a port rather than as the default
compiler.  Hopefully this stupidity will go away as the powers that be
reorganize the way that ports are installed as system components instead
of add-on's, and the source tree becomes less Intel-centric (c.v. the
SPARC box in my cube at work).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---