Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:06:48 -0000
From:      Martin Tournoy <carpetsmoker@gmail.com>
To:        "Sven Hazejager" <sven.hazejager@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP! Filesystem EMPTY after upgrade from 4.11 to 6.1

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:06:38 -0000, Sven Hazejager  =

<sven.hazejager@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I have quite a big problem here....
>
> I've upgraded my FreeBSD 4.11 to 6.1. Basically, I did a newfs of / an=
d  =

> /usr
> and reinstalled from scratch. That worked.
>
> Rebooted in 6.1 single user mode, mounted /, /usr and /usr/home. The  =

> latter
> I did not touch and I need to save that partition. /usr/home had all t=
he
> files it needed to have. PROBLEM: mount said soft-updates were not set=
 on
> /usr/home. So I did umount /usr/home, tunefs -n enable /usr/home, moun=
> /usr/home again... EMPTY!!!!
>
> What has gone wrong? I did fsck (in read-only), no problems, rebooted =
the
> system, did tunefs -n disable, still no luck. I really need those file=
> guys...
>
> Please help urgently.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Sven Hazejager

4.11 uses UFS1, 6.1 UFS2, there might be some conflict there...

Try using stellar phoenix BSD, it can recover data, before you start  =

messing around and destroy stuff...
It's not free, but there's a free trial...
http://www.stellarinfo.com/download/download_form.php?sid=3D35