Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 98 10:15:36 +0200
From:      THIERRY.HERBELOT@telspace.alcatel.fr
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   increasing per-user process number

     Hello,

     I'm using FreeBSD 2.2.6 - stable with Xfree 3.3.2.

     I would like to have lots of windows in KDE but I hit the 64-process
     limit.

     I have tried to reconfigure the kernel after increasing the "maxusers"
     parameter and the "CHILD_MAX" option. Then I have edited
     "/etc/login.conf" (and then "cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf").

     The net result was a completely **broken** machine (well .. almost ;-)
     ) and I could only have a maximum of 16 X-Windows clients before Xlib
     complained.

     I have looked at what "the complete FreeBSD" says and I have looked in
     the archives and I haven't found a clue.

     I've now reinstalled a clean FreeBSD. What sould I do to have more
     than 64 processes.

        TIA

        TfH