Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 21:58:03 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Erik Rothwell <erothwell@callgtn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: TrueType fonts in XF86 4.03 (FreeBSD install from Ports.)]

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 03:07:33PM -0400, Erik Rothwell wrote:
> I originally posted this to the Xfree86 list... but, maybe somebody
> knows what's going on here... I upgraded my XF86 3.36 to 4.03 by means
> of the ports... from what I can tell, I've done everything as I should
> -- but, I cannot get the fonts to work? Has anyone else had/solved this
> issue on their own boxes?

Hi,

Have you looked at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/fonts.dir, and
verified it actually contained some lines?
In my experience, X's mkfontdir still isn't able to cope well with .ttf,
so it sometimes puts out an empty file. Install and use
/usr/ports/x11-fonts/ttmkfdir if that is the case.

The second thing to check (this has bitten me also) is that IIRC .ttf
files mustn't have spaces in their filenames, or X will complain.

HTH,

--Stijn

--
If today is the first day of the rest of your life, what the hell was
yesterday?