Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:17:26 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        charon@freethought.org
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@turkey.ispro.net.tr>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and packages

charon@freethought.org wrote:

> At 02:01 AM 1/28/99 +0200, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> >I guess you may use;
> >
> >     -f      Force installation to proceed even if prerequisite packages are
> >             not installed or the requirements script fails.  Although
> pkg_add
> >             will still try to find and auto-install missing prerequisite
> >             packages, a failure to find one will not be fatal.
> >
> >I think that you will still be able to use packages without any problem
> >even though you see some error messages.
> >

> >On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 charon@freethought.org wrote:
> >
> >> The packages I'm trying to install require XFree86, but don't recognize
> >> that I have it on my system because I didn't install it via port (I
> >> downloaded it from www.XFree86.org and followed their directions).  What do
> >> I need to do to make window managers, etc. recognize that I have X
> installed?
>
> When I force a pkg_add, I get a message that dependency registration is
> incomplete.  Does this cause a problem?  The fact that XFree86 _isn't_ a
> package makes me wonder why the system is looking for it to be registered
> in /var/db/pkg in the first place.  I can't install XFree via port because
> my laptop (the FreeBSD machine) isn't networked... any suggestions?

This has come up before. Some packages seem to have XFree86 included
as a dependency, even if you install it from the CD-ROM (as a
distribution) it still doesn't have an entry in /var/db/pkg.

An easy workround is to create a dummy entry in /var/db/pkg, using
empty files, for XFree86 using the version number that the package is
looking for.

HTH