Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 2009 17:35:04 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        kyanh <xkyanh@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound configuration for pidgin

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 20:51:35 +0700, kyanh <xkyanh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to hear some notification from Pidgin. When configuring Pidgin, I use
> 	mplayer %s
> to make Pidgin play stuff.

First, maybe mplayer is a bit "heavy stuff" for notification sounds.
What are these files? If they are *.wav, use "play %s" command, and if
they are *.mp3, use "madplay %s" or "mpg123 %s", as well as "ogg123 %s"
for *.ogg files. Check out the manpages for these programs if you
think you need further options.

> But it's hard to hear the sound as pidgin's volume is small (while
> the system mixer is almost 100:100). Is there anyway to have a
> bigger sound in Pidgin?

Check the other volumes as well. PCM should be 100:100, too.
If vol == 100:100 and pcm == 10:10, it will be very silent. :-)

Do other applications (music and movie player, games etc.) play
louder sounds?

> PS: sorry for my terrible English :)

I'm not sure mine is better, don't mind. The guys on that list have
a lot of translational phantasy. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany