Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:11:15 -0500
From:      Tadayuki OKADA <tadayuki@mediaone.net>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        tadayuki.okada@windriver.com, will@csociety.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/gd Makefile pkg-comment

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:43:09 -0500 (EST)
Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com> wrote:
> The  reason  port  A  needs  upgrading should  not  be  the  PORTREVISON
> somewhere,  but  the mere  fact,  that  port B,  for  which  there is  a
> lib-dependency, is  being upgraded. If portupgrade does not do  this, it
> should -- always -- with or without my modifications.
portupgrade -r 'port B' will update 'port A' if port A's PORTREVISION is
bumped.

> > But port A will not be detected, because PORTREVISON is same.
>
> None of the "chase the foo shared library bump" commits I've seen so far
> bump up PORTREVISION at the same time. Or do they?
They do, or they should. The exception is when the updated shared library is
not used by default.

from Porter's Handbook:
Examples of when PORTREVISION should be bumped:
    * Version bump of a port's shared library dependency (in this case,
      someone trying to install the old package after installing a newer
      version of the dependency will fail since it will look for the old
      libfoo.x instead of libfoo.(x+1)).

--
Tadayuki OKADA