Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 23:40:25 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@opt.phys.waseda.ac.jp>, nik@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Convert to DocBook (was Re: ps2pdf)

On Mon, Mar 16, 1998 at 07:34:30AM +0900, Jun Kuriyama wrote:
> >   1. Has anyone on the Japanese side used Jade to process SGML with
> >      the japanese characters suitably encoded? Did it work?
>
>   Now, we are translating "FreeBSD Tutorials" to Japanese.  We use
> "sgmlfmt" for building html files from DocBook source.  I tested Jade
> for it yesterday.  It might have no problem.  (But according to our
> Technical Director Mr. Hanai, "rtf" rendering of Jade have some problems
> about treating 8-bit characters.)

OK.

Have you been able to use Jade's TeX backend to do the conversion?

> >   2. Do you see any problems with the approach used (i.e., a series of
> >      commits, each one concerning itself with just one structural change,
> >      and those changes automated where ever possible)?
>
>   Sorry, I cannot understand this question (my English skill is very
> poor...).  But technically (such as tags), we can apply English changes
> to Japanese version easily now.

Right.

I don't think this will be a problem, as long as I'm careful to not make
'content' changes and 'tag' changes in the same commit.

> >   I've been working on getting the handbook converted from the LinuxDoc
> >   DTD to DocBook, cleaning up the markup, reorganising the file structure
> >   and so on.
>
>   I am using these components for testing Jade.
>
>   o Jade 1.0.1
>   o DocBook 3.0
>   o iso8879-1986
>   o Norman Walsh's DSSSL stylesheets for the DocBook DTD
>
>   Do you have any stylesheets for FreeBSD Handbook, FAQ, Tutorials?  I
> think Norman's stylesheets need more (and more) modifications to use for
> Handbook, etc.

No I don't. I believe that Norman's stylesheets and the configuration
options he provides should be enough to get started, although it probably
won't look exactly like the current handbook.

However, having the Handbook in DocBook means that there's a large body
of DocBook source available for people to work on, and others will then
be able to work on Norman's stylesheets as well.

I've just sent a (lengthy) message out to the list with my current plans
for the conversion. Hopefully that will spark a bit more comment and
make things clearer as well.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?