Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 19:08:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DPT's Storage Manager and FreeBSD

spork recently said:

> Is there any way to tell that the DPT has lost a disk without
> physically seeing the blinking lights or hearing the piercing
> siren? I have one of these about to be shipped out to a colo, and
> I have no idea how I'm going to tell if the thing needs attention.
>
> I suppose I could mount the speaker external and hope it annoys
> someone enough that they'll call the number on the cage, but...

Unless they've changed that's not neccesary. It's not really a
speaker either.   I got a frantic call one morning from a client
who lost an HD.  When I arrived I found they had closed the door
the computer room, and the two people inside left that room because
it was so loud.  It was quite apparent through the closed door.

Picture yourself standing behind a garbage truck when it goes into
reverse and you'll get a hint of how loud this sucker it.

--
bill@bilver.magicnet.net | bv@wjv.com