Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:15:18 -0300
From:      Mario Lobo <mlobo@digiart.art.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MIDI with snd_cmi.ko in FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE

Hi;

I know this has been asked here before but all the answers I could find
referred to older freebsd versions.

I have a pcm0: <CMedia CMI8738> port 0xac00-0xacff irq 19 at device 5.0
and it has a midi interface (which is fully functional).
When I had 6.2, MIDI was working fine. I had /dev/sequencer, etc.... The
devices showed up, but now they're gone.

Peeking through cmi.c, I found  TODO: MIDI.

BUT i also found:

static DEFINE_CLASS(cmi_mpu, cmi_mpu_methods, 0);
static void cmi_midiattach(struct sc_info *sc)

and mpu init functions.

After a long googling session, I found that some people managed to get it
working  by "loading a separate module (midi.ko ?? or mpu401.ko??)" but I
could not find any info on how they compiled those separetly or made them
work. Nor any other specifics on the subject.

I tried both device midi and device mpu401 on the kernel but none was
recognized.

The reason for that is that I use Ardour (great studio) but I am unable to
record midi, which is the only thing missing to use it fully.

Would anyone have a direction for me to research further?

If I rewrite this driver with a new name, what should I do include it in a
kernel compilation?

Thanks
--
Mario Lobo