Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 17:50:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Lukas Ertl <a9404849@unet.univie.ac.at>
To:        Derek Tattersall <dlt@mebtel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange message

On Sat, 27 May 2000, Derek Tattersall wrote:

> I cvsup'ed to 4.0 stable on a generic pentiu, II MMX box with a Netgear tulip
> card.  I am getting a message shortly after boot-up finishes which puzzles me.
> The message follows:
> lorne /kernel: arplookup 0.0.0.0 failed: host is not on local network.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I have misconfigured to cause this?  And what are the
> implications for the operation of my system?

Hi,

I had almost the same message here, but it was host 13.10.15.10 instead of
0.0.0.0. The problem was a program called "LanGuard", installed on the
Win2k box of one of my co-workers, that continously sent out arp requests
but spoofed the MAC address of the machines NIC.

You could try:
tcpdump -n -e -p arp

and then hunt down the MAC address.

HTH,
le

--
"Special cocktails for the ladies with nuts."

	-- Sign in a Tokyo bar.