Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 07:44:34 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "Alexei Betin" <betin@belcom.ru>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the way freebsd to be patched is sick

> Hello,
>
> >   I'm sorry you don't like the way that the Open
> > Source community does things.  I would suggest that
> > if you don't care to get source patches that you pay
> > the $1000 per year per server to BSDi to put your
> > servers under a FreeBSD service contract.  I'm quite
> > sure that if you do this that BSDi will be more than
> > happy to supply you with all the binary patches that
> > you want.
>
> no point. there is at least enother one well known open
> source os that provides binary patches.

What's the point of having an OpenSource operating system that has binary
patches ?  That kinda defeats the whole OpenSource concept.  If I were to
change any of the source code in my kernel, or the rest of the operating
system, that would break the patches.  If you want binary patches, why do
you want OpenSource ?

> whoes that crazy idea to patch os by recompiling it?

Welcome to Open Source.

> for many reasons I don't want to have compiler and source tree installed
on my servers.

Such as ?

You don't want a compiler in your Open Source operating system ?  I think
you're a little lost.

> I don't want to wait while it's being recompiled for several hours just
for purpose of new `bind` to be installed.

Several hours ?  You're kidding right ?  First, my make worlds don't take
"several hours", they take two hours tops on my slowest servers.  If it
takes several hours, perhaps you don't have recent hardware.  If that's the
case, how can you blame the OS for your hardware ?  Besides, you shouldn't
have to recompile the entire OS just because of bind.  You can recompile
bind from ports I believe, or you can just cvsup your source tree, go into
/usr/src/contrib/bind and just recompile the bind code.

> I don't want to hold my breath seing how freshly compiled os restarts on a
production system...

(a) Welcome to Open Source
(b) I've never had any problems with recompiling the OS, if make world is
successful.  How the hell do you think the "binary" version of the OS you
installed via ftp or cdrom was created ?  By some magic supercompiler that
generates better code ?  The FreeBSD team compiles the OS the same way you
do, and they create the "binaries" you desire so badly.  How much easier can
it be ?  "make world"  I think you need to either understand the Open Source
OS concept a little better, or move to a different style of OS.  Honestly,
from your statements I am assuming you simply aren't comfortable with
compiling your kernel, OS, etc.  That being the case, the only reason I can
see that you would demand an Open Source operating system (that doesn't
include a compiler) is the price.  Are you simply using FreeBSD for the Free
part ?  If so, that's fine, but you have to accept that if you're going to
use a system like FreeBSD or even Linux, there's something of a learning
curve.  You have to put a little work into the OS in order to experience the
benefits.  If you don't like that, find yourself a free OS that's not open
source and maybe you'll be a little happier.  If you don't like FreeBSD's
cvsup style patches, use BSDi, Solaris, or Windows 2000 Advanced Server.
They seem to be a little more your style (win2k=no compiler, all have binary
patches, you don't have to compile your OS for "hours", and you don't have
to hold your breath when you freshly compile your OS).