Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2009 17:23:01 -0800
From:      "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff@gmail.com>
To:        "Grant Peel" <gpeel@thenetnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Boot Manager

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was bored earlier tonight and I decided to tinker a bit with FreeBSD 6.4 on my Windows XP SP3 box.
>
> In that machine, there is one SATA drive.
>
> On that drive, there was about 100 GB of free space, so I decided to try putting FreeBSD 6.4 on it.
>
> During the install, I opted to use the Free BSD boot manage. The install went flawlessly.
>
> The problem is, when I boot up I get:
>
> F1 ??
> F2 FreeBSD
> F5 Disk1
>
> F2, is obviously, the new installation of FreeBSD 6.4, which boots perfectly.
> F5 is a spare SCSI disk connected to an Initio controller.
>
> F1 is the probelem. Windose no longer boots. When I select F2, I simply get the cursor on a new line, and nothing happens.
>
> Like this:
>
> F1 ??
> F2 FreeBSD
> F5 Disk1
> _
>
> Any idea what I might need to do to make windows work again?
>
> It may be worth mentioning, I had Norton GoBack running on the disk before I installed FreeBSD, although I am not aware if it does anything to the booting system.
>
> All suggestions welcome,
>
> -Grant

www.bootdisk.com

Find a bootable floppy image there that includes a DOS fdisk, and
write it out to a floppy disk.

Boot your machine with that floppy, and at the DOS prompt, type 'fdisk
/mbr' - it will write a standard boot sector, and Windows should boot
again.

Of course, this will not allow you to boot to your new FreeBSD
installation, but with other folks' help, you can probably overcome
that - probably with GRUB, or another boot manager.

Kurt