Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:37:49 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Netscape communicator vs navigator stability

Jim Durham wrote:

> Alex Charalabidis wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Jim Durham wrote:
> >
> > > On my P200MMX, I haven't been able to run anything past Netscape 4.08
> > > Communicator on 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 or 3.4. With 4.5, 4.6 or 4.7, The mail
> > > side
> > > works fine, the browser just goes away..particularly on netscape.com,
> > > which
> > > is a hoot...8-) . 4.08 runs fine, but I don't like the mail client as
> > > well.
> > >
> > > Anyway, I tried the 4.7 *navigator* and it works just fine.
> > >
> > > Anybody else see anything like this?
> > >
> > Yes. Try disabling javascript. FreeBSD netscape has the nasty habit of
> > randomly exploding on javascripted pages (just... *poof* going away),
> > especially when going "back" to one. I only recall this problem since
> > moving from 4.08 to 4.[67]x. I can't say whether the same problem exists
> > with linux-netscape on FreeBSD since I've never used it.
>
> You are correct, that makes it work, but some pages don't display
> properly, of course.
>
> I just thought it was strange that the stand-alone 4.7 navigator worked,
> while the communicator 4.7 did not.
>
> My hardware is a P200MMX on an Intel motherboard with 64 megs of RAM.
> I also have a P90 on a Tyan motherboard with 40 megs or RAM that
> is my server for the household LAN. It displays the same symptom.
> I don't run X on it, just the netscape client displaying on the
> workstation display over the LAN.
>
> I also tried the 40 bit encryption version vs the 128 bit. They both
> just die the same way.
>
> It's wierd that adding the mail/news modules to the code breaks
> the JavaScript stuff. Oh well, go figure...

There is a kb article of javascript breaking navigator see
http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19990723-1.html

In this article there is a problem in the ~/.mailcap file. If you
don't have one, then it is a different problem.

Their search engine is available from
http://help.netscape.com/search.html?cp=helexppro

A comment on secnews.netscape.com had

        Turn off java. If you can't, then you might want to look at
        $MOZILLA_HOME/java/classes/fonts.properties*. There are fonts
        listed that aren't on a normal Linux system. Editing might
help.

I can remember reading a kb article on this on unix in general but
couldn't find it. This from a thread on "Why is Netscape so unstable
on Linux" by a person signing TenThumbs. Another person claimed that
turning off smart browsing helped. That is an option in Edit >
preferences > navigator. I think these are all handled by 4.72 in
~/.netscape/preferences.js and the old comments probably don't apply.
The smart browsing might. You can specify sites that they are to never
load related items. That could get you around one in particular that
would kill Netscape.

At any rate, this message got me poking around in Netscape on my
system.

Kent

> BTW, it looks like the Staroffice browser is not JavaScript enabled,
> so that is no solution. It's also pretty slow..
>
> We should be cheering on the Mozilla crowd...
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Jim Durham

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html