Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:05:14 +0000
From:      sgreven@erm1.mpu.gov.za
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re-installing the boot manager

> I had FreeBSD 2.2.5 installed on a notebook and went and installed
> Win95 on another partition. However in typical style Win95 wiped
> the boot menu. Now I know how to get back the standard FreeBSD
> bootblock using "disklabel -B", but how do I get back the bootmenu
> that allows me to select which OS to boot with a function key?

After doing much the same thing, (and spending weeks trying to fix
it ..... and eventually re-installing, :) ... I found that the answer
to this question lies in the FAQ on www.freebsd.org .

it requires a re-install of the bootmanager only.  in the FreeBSD
installation tree, you will find a file called
/pub/FreeBSD/???-RELEASE/tools/bootinst.exe , just run that on your
DOS partition, and get backk your boot manager, ..that is assuming
you are using the standard boot manager

:)

Regards Sean
Sean Greven