Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:40:07 +0200
From:      Abu Khaled <khaled.abu@gmail.com>
To:        "Michael A. Alestock" <michaela@maa-net.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem using "MAKE"

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:21:07 -0500 (EST), Michael A. Alestock
<michaela@maa-net.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to update my source tree.  When I 'CD' to /usr/src and execute
> the command, "make update"  I get this error....
>
> make: don't know how to make update.  Stop
>
> Am I missing something?  Did I forget to install a port to aid in the MAKE
> process??
>
> Thanks for the help in advance.

Well I am not sure about the "make: don't know how to make update" message.

I use cvsup to update src/ports/doc.
You need to add options to /etc/make.conf to use "make update"
Here is my cvsup related options in "/etc/make.conf"
-
SUP_UPDATE=yes
SUP=/usr/local/bin/cvsup             # <- default installation for cvsup
SUPFLAGS=-g -L 2                     # options for cvsup
SUPHOST=cvsup.uk.freebsd.org  # the server to use
SUPFILE=path+filename to your src_all sup file
PORTSSUPFILE=path+filename to ports_all sup file
DOCSUPFILE=path+filename to doc_all sup file
-

Try man make.conf for more details. Good luck

--
Kind regards
Abu Khaled