Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 16:04:04 -0500
From:      "Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        peter.lai@uconn.edu, FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: smbfs breakage in 4.5-stable

OK. Here's what I did wrong (and after fixing this, it worked):
in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/MACHNAME built from scratch, I had:
	OPTIONS	NETSMB
	OPTIONS	NETSMBCRYPTO
	OPTIONS	LIBMCHAIN
	OPTIONS	LIBICONV
however, in the filesystems section, i had omitted OPTIONS SMBFS

apparently, if I explicitly add net[smb|crypto], libmchain, and libiconv,
I need to add in smbfs also. (I didn't realize this, since SMBFS is lumped
in with all the other filesystems, which don't depend on anything, and
can be safely modularized without being declared in the configuration file).

Adding SMBFS back in to the kernel config fixed the smbfs problem.

Now, can I remove net[smb|crypto], libmchain, libiconv, and smbfs, and
have everything working as modules? Implicit modularization still
confuses me (unlike in linux, where you explicitly state static,module,or don't-compile).