Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:48:40 -0400
From:      David Petrou <dpetrou@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        David Petrou <dpetrou@cs.cmu.edu>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shared mem default limits

> > After throwing in:
> >
> > options  SHMMAXPGS=8192
> > options  SHMMNI=4096
> > options  SHMSEG=1024
> >
> > my problems went away.  (Problems would manifest themselves as windows
> > disappearing when starting new apps, etc.)
>
> Is that the solution?

Works for me.  I'll know for sure after a few more days of intensive X
usage.

> I've been having a similar problem. In an attempt
> to solve the problem, I tried deleting shared memory segments, and I got
> this error with certain values:
>
> 	% ipcrm -m 65543
> 	ipcrm: shmid(65543): : Invalid argument
>
> I know the segment exists, I can see it in ipcs. Also, I own it. How can
> I forcefully delete those segments which just don't die?

I'm not sure I understand your attempted fix.  Are you saying that
user apps are buggily holding onto segments too long?  Or the kernel
isn't freeing them properly after the user is done with them??  At any
rate, I don't know why you can't kill them.

> Andrew Hesford
> ajh3@chmod.ath.cx

david