Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:35:34 +0000
From:      tim.borgeaud@genie.co.uk
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Softupdates ( why not to use on / fs )

I have little knowledge of filesystems but as I understand it,
although softupdates is not synchronous, it tries to make sure that
you have a valid filesystem on disk at any point.

An asynchronous system is at greater risk of corruption when there are
crashes etc, because the file system on disk alone is often not valid,
much of the changes still being cached in memory.

Softupdates should be nearly as safe as a plain synchronous system.
Someone with a better understanding should clarify this.

Data corruption and loss should only occur when you are in the middle of
writing (changing the file system). This has certainly happened
to me before softupdates. Softupdates should actually make this
less likely as the system is written to less frequently.

The only safety issue I have heard is that a softupdates failure
can lead to pretty drastic damage. Again someone who knows better
should clarify this.

Tim