Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 06:21:18 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, "Pookie" <madriax@garlic.com>
Subject:   Re: NT LOADER + Laptop

9/12/2002 1:46:00 AM, "Pookie" <madriax@garlic.com> wrote:

>I attempted to install FreeBSD on my laptop along side WinXP Home. I
>chose no FBSD boot loader. Reading the online documentation it says
>can boot BSD from NT Loader. So I go in, mount my winxp
>partition(/mnt/WinXP). Then I go to /boot and do a "cp /boot/boot*
>/mnt/WinXP". That commands overwrites my MBR with the FBSD boot
loader
>correct?

Nope.  You need to read the documentation more carefully.  You *don't*
want to write /boot/boot0 to your XP partition, as the online FAQ
explains.  You want to write /boot/boot1 as a *file* on your XP partition.
Then you can add

[drive letter]:\[boot1 filename]="FreeBSD"

as a line in the WinXP boot.ini file.

Is your XP partition FAT or NTFS?  If the latter, last I knew, FBSD
couldn't write to NTFS.  In that case, you need to write from FBSD to a
floppy or FAT partition, then go back to XP and copy the file from
floppy/FAT.

How do I successfully get this working.

>Id appreciate it if someone was kind enough to help me out, command
by
>command

The online FAQ does contain step-by-step instructions that I don't know
how to improve on.  If after careful reading there's a specific item in
those instructions that's not clear to you, please ask.

Jud