Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 18:49:05 +0200
From:      Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer@web.de>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Order of memory modules effects system stability?

Hi all,

I have a hardware related question again (don't know where to ask else, is there a good hardware related alpha list?):

OK, I have a PWS 500a. I came with 64MB installed, I added another 128MB (2x64MB) and today another 256 MB (2x128). They are all ECC RAMs and all work great individually. Somehow I thought (sort of "had the feeling") that having the greatest memory module in the first bank I removed all the chips and added them again in the order 256, 128, 64 MB. I booted the system and it booted fine, but when I logged into KDE2 the system hang up :-(. I shut down hard (pushed that button) and tried to start the system, but it didn' come up - not even to SRM console.
I removed the 64MB from the last bank and everything was fine again. So I changed the memory module order back to 64,128,256 MB and everything works fine again (until now). I started like every program I have installed to fill up memory. I reached 444 MB of filled up RAM and the system was stable and responsive. So, does anyone know if there are any issues with how you order the memory modules? Does it make a performance difference where you have the largest module installed?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Jan Lentfer