Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 23:08:39 -0800
From:      Craig Shaver <craig@ProGroup.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS SC-200 vs SC-875

Mike Tancsa wrote:
del ...

> Super,
>         Thanks for the response... Right now we are running 2.1.5 as the news
> server and will do an upgrade to 2.2 after the bugs are ironed out... One
> thing I dont get is why the FAQ (http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ45.html#45)
> lists the Ultra Wide as being supported, when I find no mention of it in
> LINT in either 2.1.6 or 2.1.5...

They are all in the ncr controller device driver.  Actually you should
be able to use an 875 on 2.1.5 or 2.1.6/7.  I have a Tekram 390F based
on the 875 chip, and I got the boot disks and patch for the driver from
the Tekram web site (actually ftp area).   http://www.tekram.com/  see
the technical support area.  I also got a small patch from Stefan Esser
for the driver.  This allowed me to use Ultra Wide drives and get the
40MB/s speed enabled.  It works great for me -- on this machine, which
is used for news, mail, and www.  I have also used a second NCR card on
this machine to support some legacy scsi-II drives.  You can use it as
an 810/825 if you don't want to jump through the hoops to use the Tekram
driver stuff.  If you want to, and have trouble getting it installed,
just drop me an email and I'll help you.

You may have to move the cards around to get the boot sequence right.

> PCI Generic
>
>      NCR 53C81x based controllers <PCI>
>      NCR 53C82x based controllers <PCI>
>      NCR 53C860/75 based controllers <PCI>
>
> I am leaning toward getting the higher end controller since we might
> actually be able to afford higher class drives one day :-)... However, if
> it will only work with 2.2, then I am not sure if I should take a chance on
> it just yet.

Go ahead and use it on 2.1.x as a non-wide controller, and then use it
as a Ultra Wide when you make the jump to 2.2 and UW disks.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088