Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 11:09:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, jdp@polstra.com
Subject:   Re: /sys/boot, egcs vs. gcc, -Os

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Bruce Evans wrote:

> >> "CC+=-Os" in individual Makefiles works about as well as "CFLAGS+=-Os" for
> >> adding flags.  That's not very well.  Removing unwanted additions is hard.
>
> >Why don't we have a -= operator in make(1)?
>
> Substitution can replace -= in may cases, e.g.:
>
> CC:=	${CC:S/-Os//}
>
> This is "hard" because it has to be coded in the makefile, while additions
> can be passed to make.

But what's wrong with having a specific -= operator? It would make code more
readable, which is a plus. It would be obvious for people to look for such
before resorting to substition rules.

> Bruce

 Brian Feldman                _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org                _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!      _ __ | _ \__ \ |) |
         http://www.freebsd.org           _ |___/___/___/