Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 20:38:13 -0400
From:      "Eric A. Griff" <eric@cfpower.com>
To:        "Nik Clayton" <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: advocacy site

----- Original Message -----
From: Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc: Mike Hoskins <mike@snafu.adept.org>; Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>;
Seth <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>; Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>;
Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>; Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>;
<advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 1999 2:07 PM

> On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 08:36:55PM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
> > > Settled?  Now maybe we can move beyond placing blame, and actually
start
> > > working on the new site/integration.
> >
> > We're getting lots of news links lately.  A "FreeBSD in the News" page
> > would be a good starting point.
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/news/press.html

Cool. I looked. Though, where are equivelent linux pages to compare? I
assume we need much more to compare (not that this is impossible), in fact
it may be easy to get rolling. That's where linux is hitting. They've just
created a niche where some corporate likes are in a frenzy over it (not
necessarily with logic involved). Put a little logic into them, on there
terms, and they might divert..

We need that whole page full, for a month.. I think that's where linux is
at...

That's where companies like Oracle, Allaire, among others decide to work
with a particular OS.  The biggest question they are asking is, How much
will it make. Truth is, long term, FreeBSD would likely make them more,
since they'd have more customers satisfied do to there systems running on a
stable, and affordable OS.

Allaire for example, jumps on $$. Sun paid them to make the Solaris version
available. I believe a similiar situation occured for HPUX. And they are
riding the Linux Buz to some linux support, that will eventually lead to a
full blown version of ColdFusion for linux. I guess Jeremy Allaire has a "I
love linux" bumper sticker, however when I was in Cambridge last, I didn't
have time to find out.. That could equate to 's/linux/$$/'

Of course, in the $$ argument, we have 2 things in our corner 1) BSD
license, and 2) Stability.

That BSD license needs to be sold more =)

Thank you for your 2 minutes,

Eric A. Griff <eric@setjmp.com>, http://www.setjmp.com
setjmp Software                   Your source for custom
181 Genesee Street            Software Solutions.
Suite 504
Utica, NY 13501
ICQ# 28146852
Office: (315) 734-1668 Extension 205