Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 17:14:01 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Steve Reid <sreid@sea-to-sky.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Got a libGL.so for Linux?

Steve Reid:
 |On Sun, Oct 17, 1999 at 12:44:59PM -0400, Randall Hopper wrote:
 |>     Anyone got a hardware-accelerated libGL.so for Linux lying around with
 |> Matrox G200 support?
 |
 |Check http://glx.on.openprojects.net/download.html. There are some linux
 |packages there with the required libs. I pulled libGL.so out of a RPM a
 |few months ago, though it was a hassle (maybe I'm not familiar enough
 |with the rpm tool). That and a FreeBSD-compiled GLX module was enough to
 |run linux q3test at usable framerates on my G200 8MB SDRAM.
 |
 |I read somewhere that DEBs can be opened with plain old cpio. That
 |should be easier but I haven't tried it myself.

Thanks.  I'd checked there, but the RPM link was dead and I didn't know if
I could do anything with .deb's.  At your suggestion, I pulled one and
after fiddling with it, turns out it's in 'ar' format.  ar x to extract,
then tar -xovzf data* to get the files.

q3test does function with HW GLX and Matrox G200, though (as others have
indicated), not near as fast as on a 3dfx Pure3D.  CPU pegs at 100% and the
sound slows way down.  Just something I've been wanting to try.

It does work though.  Hopefully DRI will make up the difference.

Thanks,

Randall