Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 01:14:11 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [marca@chem2.harvard.edu: mini-AIR Dec 2000 - Blow Your Coat, Truth, Beauty, Gas]

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 03:59:06PM -0700, John Galt wrote:

> I thought JIR (When did they change?) was based in your neck of the
> woods--Cambridge...

You missed all of that fun, huh? The JIR is still the JIR... kind of.
Here is a webpage about the very improbable legal battle after the
whole JIR staff, excluding the guy who owned the JIR name, basically
got up and started AIR,

http://www.improbable.com/airchives/lawsuit/lawsuit-top.html

From that page,

  [SOME BACKGROUND for those who are interested: The
  Journal of Irreproducible Results was founded in
  1955 by Alex Kohn and Harry Lipkin. In 1964,
  George got involved, becoming the Journal's
  publisher, a relationship that apparently was
  inharmonious from the start (please do not ask
  Marc for details, as he knows them only second
  hand from Alex and Harry). Many years later, Alex
  and Marc co-founded the Annals of Improbable
  Research, with Harry as a founding editorial board
  member. The entire editorial staff (1955-94) of
  the Journal moved to the Annals, as did most of
  the editorial board.]

But yeah, they are still based in Cambridge, but that Marc Abrahams
gets around. I last saw their presentation when at Princeton while I
was living in NJ. But I live out here in Silicon Valley too now.