Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:18:07 -0600
From:      "Justin W. Pauler" <jwpauler@jwpages.com>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Andrew.Lawson@motorola.com
Subject:   Re: Incremental Downloads

Not so :P

On my 4.1.1-R gateway, and i've used this since 4.0-C, it has worked quite
well. My ISP is a small, hometown I guess you could say, operation. With not
enough bandwidth to support the mass number of users that want access,
sometimes connections just go *poof* and go dead. Redailing can sometimes
lead to a busy signal, and can be exahustive (?) if you do it enough times.
That is way, on my gtw, I start ppp like this:

	bash$ cat /etc/rc.conf | grep ppp
	ppp_enable="YES"
	ppp_mode="ddial"
	ppp_nat="YES"
	ppp_profile="fais"

This results in a process similar to:

	63  ??  Ss    37:18.61 /usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -ddial -nat fais

These options work well, including the -ddial. Upon your connection going
dead, it will pickup and redial. Most applications will wait for the link to
come back up and continue from where they are. They only stipulation is, that
sometimes, if the link is dead for more than 2 minutes, the applications
report that they cannot connect. However, I have had times when, with an IRC
session, I'll be typing, here the connection get dropped, reconnect and see
the text flash by, as if it was buffered on the other end.

--jwp

On Tuesday 19 December 2000 23:30, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> * Lawson Andrew-ALAWSON1 <Andrew.Lawson@motorola.com> [20001220 08:12]:
> writing on the subject 'Incremental Downloads' =>Hi all
> =>	 my problem is that my net connection cuts out every 2 hours. When I
> =>need to download a large file I have two options;
> =>a)Use gftp with the ability to resume partial downloads (perhaps other
> ftp =>clients allow this)
> =>b)Use something like Gozilla on a windows machine
> =>
> =>	Has anybody any idea how I could automate the process of re-dialling
> =>and restarting downloads, preferably so that I can install ports with the
> =>usual mak install and without having to download things seperately
> etc.....
>
> That might be a bit involving with very little chances of success. Maybe
> you could grab the CDs from freebsdmall? The peace of mind the CDs will
> give you is worth the amount, which is very minimal.
>

> -Wash
>
> --
> Odhiambo Washington Inter-Connect Ltd.,
> wash@iconnect.co.ke 5th Flr Furaha Plaza
> Tel: 254 11 222604 Nkrumah Rd.,
> Fax: 254 11 222636 PO Box 83613 MOMBASA, KE.
>
> The sound of a kiss is not so loud as that of a cannon, but its echo lasts
> a great deal longer. -Oliver Wendell Holmes

Justin W. Pauler (drnet)
E-Mail: jwpauler@jwpages.com
WWW: http://www.jwpages.com
IRC: Undernet IRC Network, #EggDrop