Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:08:36 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ too big?

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 07:46:11PM -0600, a little birdie told me
that Richard Wackerbarth remarked

> > You only keep it if you need
> > it for some reason.  So what you're saying is, 'I need the tree for XXX,
> > but I shouldn't be forced to have it'.  If all you need to do is look at
> > a file's history once in a blue moon, what's wrong with the cvsweb
> > interface, or anon cvs, etc.
> For the "ancient" part, those are great. However, they don't address the
> greater detail that I need of "recent" history.

I don't get it.
Really, cvsweb at the least gives you MORE 'recent' history than you
could get locally, since you always have up to an hour (or more) lag
between a change and your access via CVSup.  What detail does a local CVS
repo supply that the above don't?

> I have one copy, you have one copy, he has one copy ... Replicated around
> the world. That's what I mean about the entire repo on numerous machines.
> I venture that the majority of the volume of most of those repo's is not used.

Probably.
I'd also say that probably a lot of the volume in EVERYTHING in the world
isn't used, even stuff unrelated to computers.  Look at fast food for
instance.

By the same reasoning, we shouldn't have seperate copies of binaries on
everyone's system, replicated around the world.  I venture that most
people don't ever use a lot of the binaries on their systems.  When was
the last time you used ctm?  Or dtmfdecode?  enigma?  etc.

It's distributed and replicated because it's much faster to work with a
local copy than a remote one.  The people who do it think it's worth the
tradeoff of using more local storage.

> The problem is "packaging". You have the choice "all or nothing". I would
> prefer to be able to keep (and eventually use transparently) a combination of
> up-to-date history on HD and ancient history on archive CD's or the net.

Oh, so you want a version of CVS that only keeps 'recent' revisions
around; sorta an auto-expiration of revisions once they reach a certain
age.  Good luck writing it, or finding one; at the least, it goes against
the whole purpose of a revision control system.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com