Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 17:12:11 -0500
From:      Lonnie Cumberland <lonnie@outstep.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD and restricting users

Hello,

I have been looking at various possible solutions for a problem that we =
are working on and I am not sure if FreeBSD can handle it any better =
than Linux.

The problem is this. We are setting up a SPECIALIZED Xserver that will =
allow users to connect to xdm via XDMCP.

The basic problem is this. It is very easy to keep a user from entering =
into a directory after they have logged in, but it is VERY hard to keep =
a user locked into their HOME directory.

We have looked at chrooted solutions as well, but they fail when a user =
logs in through XDM and start up an application like Netscape or =
StarOffice. Once that happens, they are free to navigate throughout the =
system.

Can FreeBSD solve the problem of preventing a user from leaving their =
HOME directory while still allowing them to run OpenOffice?

Best Regards,
Lonnie Cumberland
=20