Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 2003 16:36:55 -0500
From:      pippo@bellnet.ca
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portupgrading problems

At 07:48 AM 2/4/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>On Tuesday 04 February 2003 07:00 am, pippo@bellnet.ca wrote:
> > Some time ago I chose FreeBSD over all other *nix systems because I
> > found the system better managed, easier to administrate, better
> > supported and simpler to update and upgrade both the OS and the
> > programs - especially through portupgrade.
> > Several times I have encountered glitches in the update process; some
> > I managed to figure out what the problem was, some other I just had
> > to wait until the port was corrected then re-cvsup and portupgrade.
> > This, on 2 similar FBSD v.4.7 installations.
> >
> > Currently I have encountered problems with updating KDE3 (because
> > kdegames3 had some sort of problem - I don't have time for the games
> > anyway, but this messes up the update - and the audio/arts program
> > also had problems) and Openoffice 1.02.
>
>I think you have something else that is wrong. For example, if you check
>the cvs-repository, nothing has been modified on kdegames since it was
>updated to version 3.1 6 days ago. About 18 hours ago, I cvsuped
>ports-all, rebuilt INDEX like you are supposed to do after cvsuping,
>and then ran
>
>portupgrade -pufr qt
>
>This rebuilt all of the ports that depend on qt-3.1.1_2 and pretty much
>includes all of kde and arts.
>
>What version are you trying to upgrade kde from? The older versions
>basically require a package delete and fresh install. They also don't
>work with XFree86-3.3.6. You have to use version 4.x.

My usual procedure is this:

cvsup -g -L 2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile && portsdb -Uu

I then check to see what is out of date and usually run portupgrade -ra

If there are minor upgrades, things go pretty fast; otherwise I just let
the machine go to it for hours during off hours for me....

Sometime, as I mentioned, things get screwed up - but why. Just now, on one
machine kde would not update because of some "spelling problem" ??? that's
a werd one - in the arts audio/arts port. To me, this means that there was
either an error in the download or in the port (or port patch or
whatever).  Am I wrong?
On the other machine, it was the kdegames3 that caused a problem...
What would be the best way to correct the problem? Delete the files from
the ports directory and run cvsup again?  Or... ?

>If a port requires to much space, then you need to use the prebuilt
>packages.

Ok, that's quite reasonable... sometimes it is difficult to find them :))