Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:46:04 -0600
From:      Stephen Hilton <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
To:        Mike Alich <mike@whtech.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Devices Delay

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:30:46 -0500
Mike Alich <mike@whtech.net> wrote:

> I use to run an ABIT Dual Processor board with 2 1 gig processors on it and
> recently upgraded to a single Titan P4 2GIG Celeron single processor board
> and I am now having a weird problem and I hope you can help.
>
> With the old board on boot up the system would say Waiting for SCSI Devices
> to Settle before the OS probed out the devices.
>
> Now after the new board was installed the OS decides to Wait for the SCSI
> Devices to settle after all the devices are probed and about 50% of the
> time the SCSI devices time out and we have to do another reboot.
>
> We are running FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE.  The SCSI devices I have been referring
> to are our Raid 5 drives.  We have 4 Cheetah 10K drive on a DPT Raid card.
>
> I have recompiled the kernel and this has not helped either.

Mike,

You can control the settle time with this kernel config option:

options         SCSI_DELAY=3000         #Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI

Add this line to your kernel config and set the SCSI_DELAY= to a
reasonable option, then rebuild and install the new kernel.

HTH

Stephen Hilton
nospam@hiltonbsd.com