Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:03:09 -0500
From:      Youri Podchosov <ynp@dti.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with ahc driver?

Christian Sung wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been consistently experiencing a problem with one of our FreeBSD boxes
> (the only one running a SCSI subsystem with an embedded Adaptec Ultra2 SCSI
> controller):
>
> ahc0: <Adaptec aic7896/97 Ultra2 SCSI adapter> port 0xe400-0xe4ff mem
> 0xfebfe000-0xfebfefff irq 16 at device 11.0 on pci0
> ahc1: <Adaptec aic7896/97 Ultra2 SCSI adapter> port 0xe800-0xe8ff mem
> 0xfebff000-0xfebfffff irq 16 at device 11.1 on pci0
>
> About once a week, the following message is logged in the system's messages
> file, and the box stops responding altogether:
>
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
>
> I started experiencing this problem after migrating to 4.1.  I then
> upgraded to 4.1.1 and later to 4.2-STABLE hoping it was related to minor
> problems with the ahc driver that might have been fixed in the later
> releases, but unfortunately the problem persists.
>
> Is there anyone out there experiencing the same problem?  Anyone that can
> shed some light on what's happening here?  As I mentioned, the problem
> manifests itself mostly after the box has been up for a few days -- no real
> "activity" to speak of, the machine is a router/firewall server.

I've been suffering from this problem with all 4.1+ RELEASEs/STABLEs
:-(

My AHA is plain old 2940UW (BIOS v2.57.2) and it drives two UW
Barracudas and Sony SDT9000 tape.  The symptoms are just as you put it:
after a while, no matter how heavy or light the SCSI bus activity is,
all ends up with a dropped disk and a need to reboot (and recover the
system, which is much worse).

I found a cure for myself, however: I never do soft reboots any more,
only through reset button.  My understanding is that plain halt/reboot
leaves the HA in some weird state that prevents normal operations in the
future.  Reset (or power cycling) cleans things up.  At least this is
how it works for me.

(Because this is a critical system, and experimenting with failed SCSI
operations usually takes a lot of time even to bring the system back to
life, I can't afford any comprehensive investigation of this problem and
just live with it as long as my workaround allows it to work
flawlessly).

--
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
L  Youri N. Podchosov (ynp)     ///               Email: ynp@ynp.net  L