Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 1999 06:48:10 -0800
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup without connectivity?

In message <3.0.5.32.19991209044929.007cc330@mindsieve.com>, Allen Cleveland cleopede:

>Ok, it's a strange question. Here is my problem.
>
>I've got a dialup connection, but no modem in the fbsd box. I've a modem in
>the win box and rsn I'll have a pppoe connection that I want to use the
>fbsd box with. I see that there is support for pppoe via Netgraph in the
>kernel, however to use this, I need to update my kernel and associated
>files. I'd really rather not try to learn modem setup and ppp just to
>update, because I'm guessing I'd need to get something to enable a modem
>connection [that I probably don't have] on the fbsd box [as I never planned
>on using fbsd over a modem].
>
>Now the question.
>
>Using windows, is there a way to get *all* the cvsup files on the win box?
>Assume I can ftp over my local private lan to - from the fbsd box to move
>the file[s] to the fbsd box to do the actual update. Assume I don't know of
>any way to use the windows box to act as a gateway for the fbsd box.
>
>I installed fbsd 3.1 from an iso image I burned with the win box, and if
>that might be the best way, I'm happy to try that, as well.
>
>Ideas?

It seems more efficient to me to put the modem on FBSD, set it up
as a gateway and IP redirector, either with straight PPP or with
NATD, and ethernet the Windows box to it.  That way, the FBSD box
gets to do one of the things it is best at, namely networking, and
it would simplify the Windowbox's administration, too.  This wouldn't
be learning modem setup and ppp "just" to update--it would be a
permanent improvement.  IMO.

-Greg Shenaut