Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:03:51 -0500
From:      Jason Stephenson <jjas@engr.uky.edu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frequent Restarts

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, David Syphers wrote:

> I got a random reboot with 4.5-RC1, upgraded to 4.5-R, and just today got
> another reboot.  My dmesg showed

> fault virtual address   = 0x4c521c5c

[Snippage.]

I was getting Kernel trap 12/page fault panics with my workstation after
upgrading to 4.5 also. I ran memtest 86 on my machine and discovered
that one of my DIMMs was bad. After replacing the bad DIMM, everything
works fine. Apparently, the 4.5 kernel is rougher on RAM than it was in
the past.

I suggest that you check your RAM with a similar program. You could also
try removing all your memory modules and then running with just one at a
time until you find the one that causes the crash.