Date:      Thu, 07 Jan 1999 19:46:03 -0800
From:      Justin Simms <justins@jps.net>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem reccomendation

At 07:08 PM 1/7/99 -0800, you wrote:
>	Nope, not at all. My experiences with USRs over the years have not
>been good. I've repeatedly given them the benifit of the doubt. I've
>personally owned 4 different models, all the way back to 2400, up to a
>brand new external 56 v.everything Courier. I've thrown away or given them
>all away. When I worked for an ISP, USR modems took twice as long to setup
>on the customers computers, then we also had problems getting them to dial
>in. Before that, a client had gone out and bought 10 of them for his
>office and his employees. I ended up replacing 4 of them, sent 3 of them
>in for BIOS upgrades (at about $45/each or so,) played with 2 more long
>enough that they finally worked, and only got one to work without
>problems.  Over ten years I've probally replaced at least 50% of all
>USR modems that came through my hands. Where as my experiences with Zoom
>have been the exact opposite, no problems what so ever.
>	Now, I'll freely admit that some people have no problems with
>them. I'm just not one of them. :)
>

>						Rick

This is a pretty good point - hardware recommendations tend to be really
subjective. Must say I'm a big USR fan. USR has been pretty good about
keeping the command set consistant across models, but admittedly this isn't
a concern for many people. :-)

Just out of curiousity, has your good luck been with internal or external
Zooms, or both? When I was in tech support we tried to steer people clear
of all the modems starting with Z. Zoom, Zoltrix, Zyxel, etc. :-)

Justin