Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 1995 00:11:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      bah6f@server.cs.virginia.edu
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vat won't work (was: "multicast on ep0 device")

Bill Fenner writes:
-> There is an ep driver that reports itself as multicast-capable floating
-> around, but it hasn't made it into -current yet, for some reason.  Perhaps
-> someone else on the list saved the diffs last time they got posted?...

Turns out that I had an SMC card laying around in the networks lab, so
I just swapped it in, and the ed0 device works like a champ.  Thanks
for the note, though.

Unfortunately, one of the other things I said in that message:
-> >I'm trying to get a FreeBSD box (2.1.0-SNAP) running some of the MBONE
-> >tools.  (sd, vat, nv, etc)  It doesn't seem to want to do it, though.
is still true, even with multicast stuff working fine.  vat is now a
pinprick in my posterior, the others work fine.

If someone has vat running succesfully on a pentium, I'd love to hear
about the configuration and what hardware you're using.

If you want to see the long details and maybe help me debug this mess,
read on.  Otherwise, you can stop here.

To get vat to work, I've done the following:
- rebuilt the kernel with SoundBlaster support
- made all the /dev/snd* and /dev/vatio devices
- downloaded vat from ee.lbl.gov

  I'm using a simple, old 8-bit SoundBlaster, and I've got the kernel
drivers configured fine (I think).  If I run the voxware au server and
audemo programs, I get a lot of messages "/kernel: PCM device 1 not
installed", but it works otherwise.

To actually use it I have to do all this:
- fire up the voxware au server
- fire up "audemo" and go to record mode.
- activate the mic.
- shutdown all the voxware programs.

Then I can run vat and it will transmit fine.  If I try to receive, I
get a brief blast of static on the speakers, and then all is dead.
vat still runs, but it never sends or receives another sound.

When I quit it, I get a ps report something like this:
paco   186  0.0  3.4   856  624 p3  SE  11:14PM    0:00.54  vat

It is sleeping and trying to exit.  (the SE in the status column).  It
never exits.  Any subsequent vat's that I run will turn into zombies
when they exit.  Nothing is ever able to use the sound drivers again.
Not the voxware stuff, not vat.

I'm utterly stumped and this is holding up my research pretty badly.
I graciously appreciate anyone who can help me out with this.  Heck,
if you want, I'll give you a 236Mb SCSI hard drive for solving this
problem.  I'm desperately seeking help.

Thanks!
Paco
--
Brian "Paco" Hope              Research Assistant, Technical Support Staff
email: paco@virginia.edu                    Department of Computer Science