Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:01:03 -0500
From:      Joel Dinel <dinjo@touchtunes.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mail server scenario

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 21:25:13 -0600
"Mario Doria" <mariodoria@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Try using authenticated SMTP over SSL, its secure, easy to setup (in
> postfix) and pretty easy also to maintain. Maybe POP3 before SMTP could work
> with your scenario, don't know because of the server residing in the
> internal LAN.
>
> Anyway, here's what I did  (I had a situation much like yours):
>
> http://www.thecabal.org/~devin/postfix/smtp-auth.txt
>

> Just install cyrus-sasl from ports, same as postfix. Mail me or questions
> for help on the details of configuring postfix for using sasl.
>

> Hope it helps,
>

> Mario Doria
> madd@tecdigital.net

Anybody in here feels like helping me set this up? I compiled cyrus-SASL from
ports without DB3 support (it's broken right now), and I compiled Postfix from
ports with cyrus-SASL support. I followed the instructions at
http://www.thecabal.org/~devin/postfix/smtp-auth.txt without success. All I
really want (for now) is to authenticate SMTP connections to my mail server,
and I'd need this to work with Outlook 4.X, 5.X and Netscape Messenger
clients. I don't even know if I want/need DB3 support. As long as I can relay
mail for authenticated users only, I am happy.

I looked at pop-before-smtp, but it seems a pain to install.

Thanks!

--
Joel Dinel
TouchTunes Digital Jukebox, Inc.