Date:      Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:54:10 +0200
From:      Matt Douhan <matt@fruitsalad.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Colin Farley <Colin.Farley@ecarecenters.com>
Subject:   Re: Gratuitous ARP

On Monday 19 September 2005 19:31, Colin Farley wrote:
>    1.&nbs=p; Set the arp cache timeout of the cisco router very low so
>    that outages a=re minimal.  I would rather not do this as it will
>    problably stress th=e router too much.  Unfortunately I know little
>    about cisco devices so=I really cant figure this one out, does anyone
>    think that this is a bad th=ing?  Can you tell a cisco device not to
>    cache arp entries on just the=internal interface?  The subnet
>    currently consists of about 25 hosts =so this may not be so bad after
>    all?

Depending on your Cisco router model you will not have any issues whatsoever
lowering the timeout to really low, in the region of a few seconds.

even an old 25xx device would be to handle that without problems.

>    2.  Run an ANT task to =clear the cache on the cisco device, this
>    task can become part of the UCARP=scripts.  This may be a good
>    solution but security is a concern.

This would be very very bad, cause no matter how you do it the security
concern would be severe.

--
Matt Douhan
www.fruitsalad.org