Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 10:03:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, luigi@iet.unipi.it
Subject:   Re: rtprio from non-root users ?

> As Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
> > I am trying to allow non-root accounts to use CD-R devices.
>
> The rtprio there is probably overly paranoid.  In my original scripts,
> i forgot to add the rtprio to the dd part of the pipeline, and i've
> been using it this way for quite a long time without any problem. :)

I see. On 2.2.X the rtprio commands in burncd.sh are correct :)

In light of the recent discussion on disk scheduling etc. it turns
out that probably the biggest danger for a correct cd burn is the
fact that a process may be starved by another disk-intensive activity
(although team is so aggressive that it is unlikely to become the
victim of starvation).

Next danger on a small-memory system is probably the fact that some of
the buffers used by team (or dd ?) might get swapped out.

I'd say that if we really want a safer cd write utility, we'd better
write a specific program (perhaps just a few patches to "team" would
suffice) which does all is needed (from rtrpio to locking buffers in
memory etc.)

	Cheers
	Luigi