Date:      21 Oct 1996 09:29:49 GMT
From:      peter@spinner.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail-8.8.2 ready to go..

In article <199610200924.LAA02036@uriah.heep.sax.de>,
	j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch) writes:
> As Peter Wemm wrote:
>>   - persistant host status
>
> Whatsat?

Take freefall for example.  If a sendmail queue run process discovers that
a host is down, it can record the status.  On freefall, we've typically had
a fair few queue running processes going in parallel, and each one has to
time out on it's own to discover that the host is down, if you turn on
persistant host status you can have all sendmails sharing the "yes/no"
deliverability status.  As a result, you waste far less resources with futile
delivery attempts.  On the downside, hosts retried far less often so transient
problems are slower to clear...  but even that isn't so bad because you can
handle a much larger queue with ease.

>>   - special ruleset hooks for spam hunting and user filtering
>
> Ahhh! :-)

I very much like the idea of a .db file containing (say):
#Domainname		Message
moneyworld.com		Get stuffed!

Naturally, this is a hypothetical example.. I can't imagine why anybody would
want to block such fine net-citizens like them.. :-)

-Peter