Date:      Wed, 01 Sep 1999 12:14:19 +0900
From:      itojun@iijlab.net
To:        "Ettikan Kandasamy" <ettikan@nttmsc.com.my>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, snap-users@kame.net
Subject:   Re: Ipv6 xplot error

>     I have a problem with my IPv6 ftp server. I'm using wu-ftp-2.4.2 (
>beta-1.8) on kame-19990517-fbsd228-release. When I tried build a ftp connection,
>it says can' build data connection. But for version 4 ftp it works fine.
>
>Could someone explain why this happens ???? Output of the problem is given
>below.

	Link-local address does not work for ftp(1), because of protocol twist
	(and our laziness).  It is documented in more recent KAME ftp(1)
	manpage.  Please use global IPv6 addresses instead.

	Basic rule: link-local addresses are NOT for daily use.

> fbsd1# ./ftp fe80:1::2a0:c9ff:fed7:2e16
	Never specify interface index on your command lines, this is internal
	representation just for kernel use.
> fbsd1# ./ftp fe80::2a0:c9ff:fed7:2e16
	would be the correct one, however, even if you specify like this,
	ftp(1) will fail anyway.

itojun