Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 12:46:18 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        "Philip M. Gollucci" <gollucci@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl and MsOffice

"Philip M. Gollucci" wrote:

> I need to convert MsOffice Documents to HTML format.  I know this can be
> done with PERL (regular expression matching and replacement); however, I
> do not know the conversion algorithms that Microshit uses.  This needs to
> work with people submitting file via an upload on a webpage.  Anyone know
> of any working programs or the conversions so I can do it myself.

Well, I know of three:

word2x: http://word2x.alcom.co.uk/
wv: http://www.wvWare.com/
catdoc: http://www.fe.msk.ru/~vitus/catdoc/

Of these, wv is probably the best.  Last time I used these (1998 or so)
they were quite buggy and did only a very basic job converting the
documents, caveat emptor.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org