Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 00:22:33 +0200
From:      Juergen Leising <a0037@stud.uni-bayreuth.de>
To:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re: Booting FreeBSD with Win NT

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 10:39:59PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:

> I don't see any need to use a 3rd party solution when FreeBSD has
> 2 of it's own. The dd(1) method should work for you (it works for
> me on 3.1 & I don;t think there are any major differences in the
> boot mechanism between 3.1 & 3.2).
>
> Copying /boot/boot0 sounds like an even easier solution, however
> I just tried it on my system ('/' is on the first drive) by copying
> /boot/boot0 to BOOTSECT.BSD (after backing up the original) and
> rebooted. All I got displayed when I selected FreeBSD from the NT
> menu was:
>
> default: F1 _
>
> (the '_' shows the cursor position). Every key I pressed just caused
> it to beep.
>
> Maybe, /boot/boot0 only works if / is on a disk other than the
> first?

hmmm, yes and no. /boot/boot0 is indeed able to cause the
braindead NT boot loader to jump onto (in my case) a third disk
and run the kernel. Mounting of / and whatever can be found on that
THIRD disk works. BUT: Doing this deletes the MBR of the first disk.
(no problem for me: I have saved the first sectors of my disks
to separate floppies). There is no NT boot loader any more after
this procedure.

I also tried to copy the mbr of the third disk to C:>bootsect.bsd.
So did I with /boot/boot1, /boot/boot2 and loader (yeah, ok - ridiculous,
but anyway) - with absolutely no success. (I have FreeBSD 3.2R)

So I am still forced to use a third party solution (in my case: LILO) to
boot FreeBSD in the following setup:

1st controller:
	disk0: DOS, NT
	disk1: -
2nd controller:
	disk2: FreeBSD
	disk3: CDROM

BIOS starts NT boot loader, NT boot loader starts lilo, lilo starts FreeBSD.

> > Mark Ovens writes:
> >  > On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 09:11:58AM -0500, M. L. Dodson wrote:
> >  > >
> >  > > Wrongo.  This configuration works.  No repartitioning or other
> >  > > hocus-pocus required.  When you set up fbsd, install the default
> >  > > boot manager:
> >  > >
> >  > > DOS and NT on IDE drive connected to motherboard (FAT and ntfs
> >  > > partitions).
> >  > >
> >  > > FreeBSD-STABLE (just pre-3.2-RELEASE) on SCSI disk connected to
> >  > > motherboard Adaptec (2940W compat.)
> >  > >
> >  > > c:\bootsect.bsd is /boot/boot0
> >  > > Just copy it over and rename it.
> >  > >

well, works, but destroys mbr of the first disk.

(...)

Bye, bye, Juergen.