Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 2009 13:35:55 -0600
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Brian Duke <brian@box201.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup freebsd 6_2 to freebsd 7_1 not upgrading?

--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga

[This question would be better to ask on the freebsd-questions list, but see
below.]

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 11:41:40AM -0700, Brian Duke wrote:
> Hello List,
> I'm trying to upgrade my system from 6_2 to 7_1 and cannot seem to do it.
> Perhaps I'm missing something. Here is the basic procedure I'm following.
>=20
> #cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile /root/stand_sup
> #vi /root/stand_sup
> <<<host=3DCHANGE_ME.freebsd.org
> <<<tag=3DRELENG_6_2
>=20
> #cd /usr/src
> #cvsup -g -L2 /root/stand_sup
> #make -j4 buildworld; make -j4 buildkernel; make installkernel
>=20
> ... (come back a hour or so later)
> #make installworld; reboot
>=20
> After system is back up log in as root and...
>=20
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD lazerus.box201.com 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12
> 11:05:30 UTC 2007     root@dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/S=
MP
> i386
>=20
> I cannot understand why this system will not upgrade. Even with the
> mergemaster -p commands added this system always boots to FreeBSD
> 6.2-RELEASE. I've tried this in various ways about 20 times and slowly I'm
> corrupting the 6.2 build. I have the install disks but the Upgrade FreeBSD
> detects the /usr/src and refuses to over-write the directory. The make
> commands always finish perfectly. Would someone give this apparent noob a
> hand?

You have misunderstood the purpose of csup/cvsup.  It will upgrade
your source tree and allow you to compile a new kernel and userspace,
but it will not upgrade your system for your.  What you appear to want
to do (binary upgrade) can be accomplished using freebsd-update.  See
the Updating and Upgrading FreeBSD chapter of the FreeBSD Handbook,
particularly the FreeBSD Update section for more details:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgradin=
g.html

-- Brooks

--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga