Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 18:20:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <root@gits.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/21002: setiathome port has problems under clean 4.x install

The following reply was made to PR ports/21002; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Cyrille Lefevre <root@gits.dyndns.org>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc: sjr@home.com, kris@obsecurity.org
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 03:16:03 +0100 (CET)

 this PR seems to be obsolete since the setiathome binary revision 3.03
 is staticly linked, so, it doesn't require any compat libraries as the
 revision 2.4 do.

 about building setiathome from sources, it's a FAQ question.
 it is not possible to build setiathome from sources since they
 are not available. more information maybe found at :

 	http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/faq.html

 | Why don't you release the source code?
 |
 | We decided not to make source code available for security reasons
 | and for science reasons as well. We have to have everyone do the
 | exact same analysis, or we can't have any control over our research
 | and be confident in our results.  We were also worried that there
 | may be a few people that want to deliberately try to screw up our
 | database and server.

 about the installation of the compat3x libraries, don't know how to
 do this using the ports system since compat* libraries aren't available
 as port.

 Cyrille.
 --
 home: mailto:clefevre@citeweb.net   UNIX is user-friendly; it's just particular